Beginner question about 8-10 serial ports example

Hi Everyone

I have a Papilio on the way and am trying to familiarise myself with the ISE program which is proving to be... interesting :)

Anyway, I figured I would follow the serial port example outlined here 

and try and work through it to at least get a bit file however the 1.6 schematic has GPIO_Wing ports created which appear to cause errors when I run "Check Schematic" if I try to connect the RX/TX pins directly to the WING_BL pins. I'm guessing I need to feed the RX and TX pins in through these new GPIO_Wing symbols but have no idea how to do that as the symbols don't appear to have any way to connect to them.

The other thing it may be is that I have nothing connected to Wingslot 14, I only have 8 serials ports added and have no need for the 9th, and shouldn't I be able to leave the wishbone port empty? Based on the XLXN numbers below it _appears_ like thats the problem as Wishbone 13 uses 432 and 433

It's probably something fairly simple to sort out but I'm pretty much lost at the moment, can someone point me in the right direction.

The specific errors I'm seeing are:

ERROR:DesignEntry:207 - Papilio_Pro_8_UART.sch Bus 'XLXN_430(61:0)' and its bus members must be connected to symbol pins or I/O markers.
ERROR:DesignEntry:207 - Papilio_Pro_8_UART.sch Bus 'XLXN_431(33:0)' and its bus members must be connected to symbol pins or I/O markers.

using the PSL_Papilio_Pro_LX9 project template

Thanks
Dave

>> which is proving to be... interesting

Hiya,

can't help you with the messages but at least I can officially welcome you to tool hell... if it were easy, anybody could do it :-)

Well, there is some learning curve but then the FPGA folks are usually better-paid than run-of-the-mill programmers.

Archived