ZPUino LogicStart_QuickStart sketch is too big

embedded_newbie

Hello,

My hardware: Papilio One board v2.04 and LogicStart Megawing v1.2.

I downloaded the LogicStart_QuickStart sketch posted by Jack on http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.php?/topic/1857-zap-207-and-logicstart-quickstart-does-not-compile/

But, when I compile it on ZAP IDE 2.07, I got the following error:

Binary sketch size: 18,660 bytes (of a 12,160 byte maximum) - 8,800 bytes ROM, 9,920 bytes memory, 153% usedprocessing.app.debug.RunnerException: Sketch too big; see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#size for tips on reducing it.    at processing.app.Sketch.size(Sketch.java:1654)    at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1573)    at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1594)    at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1580)    at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2425)    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of getting a new ZAP release together. The new release has the Papilio Schematic Library built into it and has an updated LogicStart MegaWing example for the Papilio One 500K board. You can get an early version of the release here:

http://www.gadgetfactory.net/download/zap/zap-2.1.0-windows.zip

I'm probably going to be putting out a 2.1.1 release early this next week, but you can check out the 2.1.0 build for now if you like. Look under examples/00.Papilio_Schematic_Library/MegaWing_Logicstart.

Jack.

• 2 years later...

Is there any way of increasing this limit of 12160 bytes?

This was on Papilio one 250K board. When I tried the same sketch on Papilio DUO, it says "Sketch uses 15,176 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 2,048,000 bytes."

How much sketch space would a Papilio one 500K board would offer? Apparently the original post above mentions the limit of 12160 bytes for the 500K board. Why wouldn't it make any difference when the RAM/ROM capacity of the two are different? Is this limit imposed by the vanilla ZPUino implementation?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gigcon,

That amount is dictated by how much RAM is available on the board. For the Papilio One boards the only RAM we have available to us is BRAM and we have squeezed out as much BRAM as we possibly can for those boards. For the DUO we are able to use the external SRAM and with the Pro we use the external SDRAM which is why they have so much more memory available.

The Papilio One 500K is about twice the size of the 250K since it has 24 BRAM blocks while the 250K has 12 BRAM blocks (off the top of my head, could be wrong)

Jack.

Thanks for the reply, Jack.

Yes, I'd perfectly understand if symptoms are that way.  However, the original poster says the same limit of 12160 bytes applied to the Papilio One 500K board as well. That's what I don't understand.

A fresh look at DesignLab/hardware/zpuino/zpu20/boards.txt file hinted that perhaps the original poster was using the Hyperion variant:

zpuino_papilio_one250.name=Papilio One (250K) - ZPUino
zpuino_papilio_one250.upload.maximum_size=12160

zpuino_papilio_one500.name=Papilio One (500K) - ZPUino
zpuino_papilio_one500.upload.maximum_size=27648

zpuino_papilio_one500vps.name=Papilio One (500K) - ZPUino Hyperion
zpuino_papilio_one500vps.upload.maximum_size=12160

This is now explained. Thanks a lot for the reply and for the great job you've done with the boards and the IDE.

Archived