Case

os1r1s

All,

I just got my papilio last week and decided to design a case for it.  This one fits the papilio pro, but I assume it will fit a papilio one as well.  Wings can be plugged in the top without removing the case and the voltage source can be changed.  I added the butterfly logo from the site, but it was low res so it looks a tad blocky.  I plan to make one that will house the board and the logicstart megawing eventually.  I will make one for the  arcade megawing once I get one.  I'd welcome any feedback.  Thanks!

i-nH3hBps-M.jpg

I was looking for something like that!!

Nice stuff.

Personally I don't think you have to include the wings. Access to headers is OK and the underlying contacts are protected, which is most important.

Any idea about availability,

Thanks!  I hadn't really planned on selling them, but I'll be happy make a few for those interested.  I'd charge $12 plus shipping for a clear acrylic one.  I can do other colors or custom text on it, but the price would change a bit.  

Do you have a Papilio Pro or a Papilio One?

Hey, very nice looking case. Is it laser cut acrylic?

Attached is vectorized versions of the Butterfly logo so it won't look so blocky.

I'd love to see a case for the RetroCade! I'll be happy to send you a free Arcade and RetroCade MegaWing if you will make up some cases for the community.

Jack.

Butterfly Logo.zip

Jack,

It is clear laser cut acrylic.  Thanks for the logo.  I'll update the design and cut a new top for mine.  I also need to make a design change take into account the power jack on the Papilio One.  Is there any text like "papilio.cc" that you would like in addition to the logo?

Sending the two megawings would be awesome!  Both of those shields are on my list to play with and I'll happily design cases for them.

If you can shoot me a shipping address via PM or email, I'll send a case to you to play with.  I also have one for hamster (Mike) as gratitude for his intro PDF.

That looks really slick! Finding/making a nice case is the hardest part of a lot of projects, and I don't really like to have bare PCBs laying all over, it's too easy to damage something.

Isn't the P-Pro a bit larger than the P1? Obviously the wing headers will be in the same place though.

I might suggest a hole over the reset button to make it accessible, but that's about the only improvement that comes to mind.

James,  I debated on if that would be worth having.  I'll add a small reset hole 3mm or so in diameter.  The time increase to cut it is negligible.  

I'm not sure if there is a difference in the size of the Papilio One vs Papilio Pro.  I didn't think so.  Perhaps I'll order one to test out the fit of that and the DC jack.  Maybe the GF team could confirm if the dimensions are identical.

I guess you already know this, but generous cut-outs around the DC & USB jacks are helpful. On my Cubieboard I had to hack the case so I that a generic USB cable could actually seat correctly. This is esp true for 'maker' stuff where all sorts of random DC adapters can end up being used.

However the most annoying thing about my Cubieboard's case is that the uSD slot has a good 2 or 3 mm gap above it, making it very easy to have the card miss the holder and end up rattling around inside case...

I'm looking at the P1 500K and P-Pro side by side in front of me. The Pro is the same width but about 0.75" longer The USB socket is in the same place but the P1 has an additional DC power jack and lacks the reset button and it has an extra set of jumpers. The 6 screw holes around the wing connectors are the same but those are the only holes in the P1, it does not have the four corner holes of the Pro. You could probably make a case that had a knockout for the power jack of the P1 and the additional jumper but it will probably result in a compromise less tidy than a purpose made case.

So I think I have a finalized design for the Papillio Pro case.  I've included top and side pictures below.  I've updated the butterfly logo (Thanks Jack!), created ample room for the usb plug, and added a 3mm hole for the reset button.  You can see the updated pictures below.

In the course of making the changes, I took a look at the Papilio One size.  The mounting holes are completely different and it is indeed about .75" smaller. I think it would be a disservice to make the case fit both.  There would be so many extra holes and cutouts that it would not fit nearly as well.  I'll work on getting a Papilio One so that I can make a new version just for it.  The megawing cases will be coming soon.  I will start with the logic start, then the arcade, and finally the retrocade megawing.  

Jack, I'm dropping one in the mail for you tomorrow to check the fit/finish and get feedback.  I welcome feedback from anyone as I work to get these finalized.

i-9Mqbff2-M.jpg

i-tX2mpTh-M.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hello,

This is mainly directed at os1r1s...

Do you have any files that are compatible with AutoDesk?

Do you have any files with layout and dimensions please?

I want to see if I can make an enclosure for Papilio Pro with a 3D printer.

Thanks in advance. =)

Archived