Where to start for adding more chips to the RetroCade Synth

TAG

Yes, I'll make a video.  I am able to play back data from .NSF files through the peripheral, but you can definitely tell that the low pass filter that is in the NES after the chip output is missing.  Has any low pass filtering been added for any of the other Retrocade chips?  I have an actual NES that I have taken apart, I'd like to hack in the Retrocade output pins right into the NES hardware where the audio outs of the real chip would normally connect, that way I could do a more apples to apples comparison to a real NES.

Can you tell me the necessary connections in the schematic library in order to enable midi in the retrocade sketch?  

I created an arduino library for the 2A03 APU using the YM2149 library as a template, and have added it into the retrocade sketch.  If I can get the midi connected in the schematic I should be able to start playing my new peripheral via midi.

Can you tell me the necessary connections in the schematic library in order to enable midi in the retrocade sketch?  

I created an arduino library for the 2A03 APU using the YM2149 library as a template, and have added it into the retrocade sketch.  If I can get the midi connected in the schematic I should be able to start playing my new peripheral via midi.

Its just a second serial port (uart) connected to wishbone slot 11 with the bits generic set to 4. The serial port will then be initialized at 31250 with the MIDI library, so the MIDI functionality is implemented by C code.

Serial1.begin(31250);

Jack.

I made a basic Ctrlr panel to control/test the chip via midi:  http://ctrlr.org/

I looked at the flowstone retrocade control panel, but there seemed to be a learning curve there and I had already used ctrlr.

I am working through the details of how midi should control things, and using NSF files to try and identify any issues with the chip implementation.  Once I get through some of that I'll make a video.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Trying to remember where I left off with this.  If I recall I had a .nsf player and there seemed to be some timing issues and I wasn't sure if the problem was with the player or in the HDL.  Would like to get a VGM player working to both test the NES peripheral as well as being a general purpose player for other chips.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived