Using an old laptop display

jamesglanville

Hi, I've been playing with my ppro, and have got it talking to an old laptop lcd I had. I was amazed at how easy this was, so I thought I'd post a few pictures and some code. So far it draws a picture of yoshi (stored in rom), and animates a square that grows as it moves. Not very impressive, but I feel like I've laid the groundwork for my next experiments. Most of the hard work was done by this guy: http://g3nius.org/lcd-controller/ The code I modified is here: http://www.filedropper.com/lcd-driver

The yellow cable is just the original cable that would plug into the motherboard, wrapped in heatshrink for strength, with the 4 differential pairs plugging into C8-C15 (You can't plug this into any port, not all of them have a full set of differential pins for LVDS). The black circuit board is a 3.3v step down converter to power the lcd electronics. The brown one is an inverter for the cold cathode backlight (I broke the original by shorting the HV to something). The fan is there because I'm overvolting the inverter (18v instead of 12v), and it gets a little warm without.

Anyways, this is a great way to get a basically free video display, since discarded laptop lcds are really easy to come by.

g45KUj1.jpg

QhtdBWd.jpg

AMR2zPc.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

I am needing some help with creating a way to controll monochrome screens the way this was done here :) Anyone interested in helping with this, Please message me and I can tell you more about what it is for. (don't want to muddy up this post with anything outside the scope of the OP's original reason for starting it :) )

ok well this is pretty intensive and indepth, and the idea is still developing, but let us just start with this for now (since my time is limited right now)

I am sure everyone here is familiar with the 3D printers that use photo sensitive polymers like say the one made by formlabs, and a couple made by others, that use video projectors, so that should be a good starting point,

my concept is to use finely tuned specific frequency lasers and filters so that a laser array can be made (think large tube that has layers with a laser in each layer, and the frequency of each is able to penetrate the next array of lasers, with only a glass sheet breaking the gases in each laser apart) the screens I need are to be stacked and rotated off from each other so that the act of turning each on, would create a barrier to all but one frequency of light, so if all are off, the whole array of frequencies coming from the layered lasers will penetrate, but turn on any part of a layer of the screens, and you get all but the one frequency that layer allows, blocked, this allows for a directional (laser) image to be focused using frequencies that are tuned to charge atoms in a way that is benificial to them bonding to other atoms (kinda like how negative and positive charges are used in a tank to plate metal onto an object) and the plating method is actually part of it, as the bed the atoms are being depositited on and bonded to, is charged with a high voltage DC current that is polarity based on the atoms we are seeking to bond.

the TL:DR of this is that I am seeking help building a printer that could print objects out of atoms from gasses, and do it fast, instead of the slow lithography way used currently for printing with resin and plastic

think CO2 gas and methane being used to extract the carbon out of it to make solid dimond objects, as well as graphite objects so you could build a solid diamond roller bearing for a pair of inline skates that the bearings and races are seperated by a layer of graphite.

I will try to get some renders up here later for those more visually based minds :)

also note, that each layer (screen) controlled here would coraspond to a different atom, so just printing with carbon is not the goal, but being able to print complex molecule based objects from the above mentioned bearing, all the way to individual molecules in medicine or protein and sucrose molecules for making food, all out of a process like burning carbon bearing objects (say paper wood grass) and then useing the gases this produces to get the "INK" we need to print the layers to the molecules

• 1 year later...

Hi,

@jamesglanville, @Jack Gassett The filedropper link is not working. Do you still have access to the source files? I'd like to use the work from @jamesglanville to first test if my LCDs actually are working :) So having working codebase for test would help me a lot.

wow did not realize how long ago I had posted this, but I think I found a temp solution that would allow me to make my own either very large DLP arrays or LCD arrays with out the color coatings that make them color (and allowing for just about any frequency of light to be used through them) as well as possibly very large LED panes for generating those light frequencies. will grab the files mentioned though thank you,

Archived