Arduino IDE GUI running on the pcDuino

Jack Gassett

Hey everyone, we just started selling LinkSprite's pcDuino Linux board in the Gadget Factory store. One of the coolest features of the board is that it uses Arduino compatible libraries to interact with the low level hardware, so you can control the hardware using standard Arduino sketches and libraries. The only problem is that the existing solution uses command line Makefiles, the Arduino IDE GUI is not working on the device.

Since I have some recent experience with this sort of thing for the Papilio I decided to put together a package to make the Arduino IDE work on the pcDuino! It looks like most everything is working, I just uploaded the first revision to the download section. There are still a couple errors with some of the default examples that need to be worked out and I haven't tested with a lot of different hardware. But I'm able to blink LED's and such.

Let me know what you think,

Jack.

Awesome stuff Jack... I'll try it tonight (if I can dual-boot away from playing Angry Birds Star Wars under Andriod).

This product should be a roaring success. I may have also accidentally got you some free advertising... http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3600453&cid=43327777

One thing worth writing up as a FAQ is using a laptop with Windows Internet Connection Sharing to connect your pcDuino to Wifi for downloading updates / apps. 

Ha, SUSE, I was never a fan of it either, but tried it a while because they had a nice VM builder.

I don't think anyone has put together a CentOS distro for it yet, I've always preferred Debian for personal use but in my previous life I always recommended CentOS/Red Hat for Enterprise use.

I have two RPi's that are sitting on my desk collecting dust, they were just slow enough that I didn't want to do much with them. I developed the entire Arduino IDE plugin using the pcDuino and not once did I get frustrated waiting for it to do something. I think it will be great for low level hardware projects that also need higher level linux services.

Jack.

Awesome stuff Jack... I'll try it tonight (if I can dual-boot away from playing Angry Birds Star Wars under Andriod).

This product should be a roaring success. I may have also accidentally got you some free advertising... http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3600453&cid=43327777

One thing worth writing up as a FAQ is using a laptop with Windows Internet Connection Sharing to connect your pcDuino to Wifi for downloading updates / apps. 

I keep a google analytics window open on one of my monitors and I saw all kinds of flashing going on out of the corner of my eye earlier today. I looked at the window and saw a bunch of people were checking out the pcDuino page so I traced it back to the it.slashdot.org post. I was like, geez, I really owe hamster a beer or something for this post. ;)

Thank you very much for the awesome post, I'm starting to owe you a truck load of beers here, hopefully one day I'll get to meet you in person and deliver on at least a couple of them.

I'm thinking really, really hard on cool products to make with the pcDuino. One idea was to make a case with a joystick and buttons that a pcDuino would fit in. Then it connect to a tv to make it easy to play all the slick android games out there.

Jack.

Archived