512Mb/s serial comms between Papilio One boards.

hamster

I've been playing with serial communications, and have finally got something worth sharing... a 512 megabit serial link between two Papilio Ones without a shared clock:

http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/HiSpeedXfer

The design has run for 12 hours with no loss of sync between the two boards.  However it is still a work in progress - now that the link is established there is all the low speed data encoding / decoding to be done, and verifying the bit error rates and usable cable lengths.

Forget about the high speed project, I'm more interested in how you accomplished time travel Mr Benjamin Button  :P you say project started 2013 and finished 2012.

Seriously though, this is a nice accomplishment and a well written wiki, the pictures help a lot.

As a general suggestion regarding the source code on your wiki, it is of course nice to have it laid out on the wiki but sometimes it takes too much of the article space. I wonder if it would be possible to have the source attached as a zip file as a complete project, including the ISE project file, directory structure, etc. In the past some of your wiki articles were missing some of the source sample for things like for example the clock module so one has to figure out how to re-create those to obtain the proper clocking for the project.

As a general suggestion regarding the source code on your wiki, it is of course nice to have it laid out on the wiki but sometimes it takes too much of the article space

Good point. Code will be going, and a zip file will appear soon...

Oh, and I hate the way that all IP generated files have a © XIlinx banner. Grrrrr!

Archived