New Papilio One User - FTDI v2.8.24.0 Driver Problem, No COM Ports assigned

RonCK

Hi Jack et al,

I've got my Papilio One 500k hooked up to my Windows 7-32bit laptop and I can download bit streams with the Papilio Loader.  When I download the Quick Start/Hello World bit stream I can see that I have 2 instances of the the FTDI USB Serial Converter loaded but I have no COM ports available.  I know that the PC has pushed the bit stream as I see the alternating states on the even pins but I can't see how to proceed with the ASCII table part without having a COM handle assigned.  I see on this forum that others have had this issue and resolved it but not the necessary techniques to duplicate their success.  Any suggestions would be useful.

On a slightly related note, how do I configure the Papilio Loader to not automatically exit until I can read the result.  I had to lengthen the timeout in the Papilio_Programmer.sh file initial dialog as it was too short even read the options before it started loading, but the other visible timeout in the script seems tied to a failed load only.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ron Cummings-Kralik

OK, I fixed the first one myself.  The trick was editing properties on the instance of "USB Serial Converter B", "Advanced", Selecting "Load VCP" then unplugging and replugging in the Papilio One. 

I'm still hoping that someone can help with the second, as it bugs me that I don't get to see the confirmation screen on loading a bit stream.

Best regards,

Ron Cummings-Kralik

Hello Ron,

It sounds like you are using the helper script rather then the GUI. If you use the GUI there is a setting under preferences to control whether the window closes or stays open after loading a bit file. For the helper script, if you edit Papilio_Programmer.bat and remove the REM from the last line, leaving pause on the line, you will see the window stay open after every bit file is loaded.

Jack.

Thanks Jack,

That fixed the issue with the loader that I had.  I'm now working through your tutorials and am having problems with the AVR8 Custom Core.  When I first tried it I got an error that looked similar to those referenced here: http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.php?/topic/1278-problem-using-custom-build/ and here: http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.php?/topic/1299-avr-8-error-with-xilinx-version-134/ except that I'm using Xilinx ISE 14.4.  I tried copying data2mem.exe from my Xilinx directory to Arduino/Hardware/Tools/Butterfly_Platform along with the Microsoft.VC90.CRT folder that was there, but I'm now getting this error:

Merging Verilog Mem file with Xilinx bitstream:
make: *** [pcustom] Error -1073741515

My Google searches are returning nothing as to what that could be.  Is anyone else using ISE 14.4 yet and has solved this?

Best regards,

Ron

• 1 year later...

I have version 2.10.00.50 for the FDTI driver, dated 1/27/2014.  The "Load VCP" option was already checked on. I didn't know at first I needed to install their drivers first. When I first tried the board, windows installed some driver that it thought should work and I only had the Serial Port A working. Once I did load the correct drivers, Serial Port B was working fine then.

In the Device Manager, under USB Controllers, there are 2 entries, USB Serial Converter A and USB Serial Converter B.

Then under Ports, I now have Papilio Pro Serial port [for Bit files] and USB Serial Port [for Console]

Dan

Archived