Problems Getting Started...

ishotjr

I am trying to get my RetroCade MegaWing running but am not having much luck; the first thing I did, per the Quick Start, was run the Installer and update the firmware.  I did not test it prior to the firmware update.  I am not clear if the firmware update worked: I clicked the icon, a window popped up, some text zoomed by in the log area, and then the app closed (I hope - not sure if that's the normal behavior or if it crashed?).  Unsure if it had worked, I ran it again, with the same results.  I then opened the Dashboard, with the device still plugged in via USB.  I checked that the Com Port was set (it was, to 14 - I assume the software figured this out and that I don't need to determine the correct port manually and override?) and then pressed the QWERTY keys, expecting sound.  When nothing happened, I tried switching to a different Preset in case the default User one was somehow not capable of producing audio without changes to the settings, and still nothing.  I then tried the device "autonomously" - i.e. just connected to a USB power source, not to a PC - I was expecting some kind of boot-up screen then menu on the LCD - all I got was blank characters across the screen, with the top row perhaps a slightly darker shade "box".  I am using the wing with a 500K, which I know is not as good as the Pro for the MegaWing, but it should work, right?  I had been using the 500K with an Arcade MegaWing prior, but I assume the firmware update made that moot.  I have USB selected for the power supply - I was going to try the barrel for "autonomous" mode but couldn't recall/find the DC input specs and didn't want to risk damaging it.  I'm really at a loss as to how to troubleshoot...?  The one last detail that I wanted to mention: while the left audio jack produces no output, the right actually does: a continual drone - a synth-ish sound vs. something more "problematic" - but it's constant and does not change e.g. with changes to the Dashboard settings etc.  Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Ish,

I'm very sorry for the confusion and frustration. What you are experiencing are problems related to using the Papilio One 500K... The Installer only has firmware for the Papilio Pro, so the window that is popping up is probably just saying that the wrong board is detected and closing before you can see it...

Let me see if I can get a limited 500K release together today for you, it will take a bit of work to do, hopefully I can get it done in one day.

BTW, the Papilio Pro will hopefully be available in about a week and then I can do the special offer for Kickstarter backers.

Jack.

Ok,

Got everything worked out for RetroCade Lite on the Papilio One 500K. Attached is a bit file that you can use the Papilio Loader to load directly to your Papilio One 500K board. Be sure to write this bit file to SPI Flash. It has code that is copied from SPI Flash into internal memory so writing it to the FPGA will only write the ZPUino Soft Processor without any code.

This is a Lite version of the RetroCade Synth that does not have:

• YM Player
  • MOD Player
  • SD File support

I just got word that they are testing the next batch of Papilio Pro boards right now so hopefully I will be able to offer an upgrade/exchange to a Papilio Pro in the next week. In the meantime I hope this lets you start playing around with the RetroCade MegaWing.

Jack.

RetroCadeLite-1.01-zpuino-1.0-PapilioOne-S3E500-RetroCadeLite-1.0.bit

Bit file worked a treat!  Set the right COM port in the Dashboard and got sound immediately using PC keyboard!  Did not have to select it as MIDI-IN (in fact, got "Device In Use / The selected device is in use by this or another application and cannot be selected"?).  Thanks so much Jack!!!  Keep meaning to say too: thanks for the update on the Pro/for the awesome offer for 500K users! :)

Archived