is there a way to edit the HDL ?

Im new in the forum, but ive been learning about papilio from different sources, and i found that its possible to take the HDL code generated in papilio "prog_mem_init.VHD" and use it to program a random FPGA, say program the digilent's atlys board using ISE and adept, but ive realized the code generated in papilio doesnt completly match the one needed for ISE

papilio mem code:

"constant PM_Inst_RAM_Inst[0].RAM_Word_INIT_00 : bit_vector(0 to 255) :=..."

ISE mem code:

"constant PM_Inst_RAM_Word0_INIT_00 : bit_vector(0 to 255) := ..."

Ive been doing this with "copy&pase" just replacing the part needed of the string, but takes some time that way.

so im wondering if its possible to edit the source code in papilio to automatically generate the HDL code needed for ISE.

Im trying this way as i already have the altys board, and want to make this to get a "friendly" way to program different FPGA boards.

Greetings.

Hello,

It is possible to port the Papilio code to any other board, but the whole reason I made the Papilio FPGA was to shield beginners from having to do that... It's really not something you want to start out with, it took me several months to get it right.

If your goal is to port the AVR8 to another board then prog_mem_init.VHD is not really where you want to be looking. Program code is not taken from there, instead we load program code to that memory space by using the data2mem tool. So unless you want to set the initial boot code prog_mem_init.VHD is not very practical to modify.

Look at modifying the ucf file and the clock DCM's if you want to port to another board.

Jack.

Archived