Ultimating 1.0 release.

alvieboy

My main problem right now is to prepare prebuilt bitfiles...

There are quite a few optional devices, such as many VGA cores, YM, Pokey, SID, I2C.... Not sure how i'll manage this... many do not know how to build them, although I can ship some ISE project files that might make that easier.

Ideas ? I'm planning to do an IDE for configuration one of these days, but it does involve some effort...

Alvie

• 4 weeks later...
Guest boseji

Hello,

Congratulations on ZPUino - 1.0 Release!!

I just gave a test run to this on the Papilio One 250k board.

There were some initiatial mistake from my side. I had assumed that the the ZPUino core would be flashed from the IDE but thats not the case.

So here is the steps I followed (My target is Win7-64bit Laptop):

1. Download - Papilio+Programmer-1.6-Setup.exe - For Programming the Bit files

2. Downloaded - zpuino-1.0-PapilioOne-S3E250.bit - For the ZPUino Processor Image

3. Downloaded - arduino-0100-Z-windows.zip - For Arduino IDE for ZPUino

4. Flashed the zpuino image onto the Papilio

5. Use IDE to write the code for a blinky & Serial combi test:

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
  Serial.print("Start");
}
void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(13,LOW);
  delay(1000);
  Serial.print("S");
}

6. Burned successfully onto the Papilio One 250k

However on Win7 I am getting the following Error Message:

errorxtm.png

And I had to click close to make it go off. Not sure if its a problem with my installation.

Kindly let me know.

Warm Regards,

Boseji

• 2 weeks later...

However on Win7 I am getting the following Error Message:

errorxtm.png

And I had to click close to make it go off. Not sure if its a problem with my installation.

Kindly let me know.

Warm Regards,

Boseji

I am getting the same thing - it doesn't look like its an issue, though, just an annoyance, as clicking close doesn't actually close anything, and I can continue to compile and upload to the Papilio.

I'm seeing the same issue, but I noticed that choosing the option to check for an online solution or to allow a report to be sent stops the error message from popping up any more.

I'll also keep looking into what might be the culprit here. Someone else mentioned the version of sh used for the AVR8 was causing problems?

Jack.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm new vhdl, to the papilio and the zpuino, but I'm learning :)

I have successfully fired up the zpuino ide on my windows PC and been able to load the zpuino bit file and a hello world sketch to my papilio one 500.

Can you tell me how I find out if i2c is in the zpuino core and the pins (on the header connections) that it is connected to?

[i have tried to look at the core top level vhdl at https://github.com/alvieboy/ZPUino-HDL/blob/master/zpu/hdl/zpuino/boards/papilio_one/s3e500/papilio_one_top.vhd but I'm struggling to see any i2C].

thanks

punkie

Hey Punkie,

Alvaro can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the directory you are looking at is really kind of a "template" implementation. To see the good stuff go a little deeper into the variants folder where you will see the major variants for each type of board. We should probably put together a wiki page or something with an overview of the variants but here is a quick list of what I know, for base ZPUino variants we decided to name them after Greek Gods and try to find something fitting from here. For each variant look in the docs folder for a technical datasheet of what cores are included and their I/O slots.

• Apollo - The God of Music - Alvie made this variant when we were first experimenting with audio chips like the YM2149. Datasheet
  • Hyperion - The Lord of Light - This is the first variant to include a VGA adapter, only works on P1 500K. Alvie is finishing up a light weight VGA adapter patterned after the Spectrum ZX that will allow VGA output on P1 250K and 500K, that variant is yet to be named as far as I know. Datasheet is not generated yet
  • Math - I believe this is a custom varian that was made for the Sound Puddle. Datasheet is not generated yet
  • SID - as in Commodore 64 SID - This is the variant that all the RetroCade work was done on, it includes the C64 SID chip, YM2149, POKEY, and an extra UART. Datasheet
  • VGAZX and LogicStart - Light weight VGA output based on Spectrum ZX, meant to be used with a P1 250K and the LogicStart MegaWing.

I also have some variant in my ZPUino Fork, but Alvie's are much more exciting. :)

Unfortunately, I don't know which variant has the I2C core instantiated. I know the source code for the I2C code is here, so it should be pretty straight forward to add it to a wishbone slot of any variant. But it would make it much easier to point you to a variant that already has the code in place to copy from. Alvie can point us in the right direction.

Jack.

Archived