Issues with srec_cat.

hamster

Hi Jack (and others).

I've just been bashing my head against a problem - if I convert the AVR 'hex' file and put it in the VDHL for program memory it works, but when I merged the same hex file in with data2mem it didn't.

I traced it down to srec_cat + data2mem giving different results depending on the length of the line in the lines in the '.mem' file generated by srec_cat. If the lines in the '.mem' file had 0xFF bytes it the second line merges in the wrong place (maybe due to byte swapping???).

By using "srec_cat program.hex -Intel --byte-swap 2 -Data_Only -Line_Length 105 -o program.mem -vmem 8"  the lines came out a convenient 32 bytes of date per line, and it merged in correctly.

This was using srec_cat version 1.47.D001.

Hope this helps somebody avoid the struggles I had.

Cheers

Mike.

PS. Thanks for your efforts in porting the AVR8 to Xilinx - I am currently running this core on a Digilent Nexys2 - now that I have it up and running an order for a Papilio one will go in as soon as disposable income will allow!

Hello Mike,

Thank you for posting about this, it is something that I struggled with mightily when I was getting the AVR8 up and running. Everything worked fine in simulation and short programs worked just fine. But programs that grew beyond a certain size would show unpredictable behavior!

It seems to be a bug with data2mem, it won't handle the output from srec_cat if it wraps to a second line. It's completely fine if everything stays on one line but as soon as it starts a new line it messes up a couple of bytes in memory. It was a huge hassle to track down. :)

I also tried to use command line options for srec_cat to try and force all data onto one line but never found a solution that worked right with a large application.

I ended up using gawk to force a format that data2mem does not choke on:

gawk ' BEGIN{FS=" ";} { $$1= ""; print}' tmp.mem > out.mem

I'll have to test out your solution, it would be nice to remove the gawk step.

Jack.

Phew! Glad it's not just me.

I eventually worked it out by running "data2mem -bm x.mem -bt x.bit -d" to dump the bitstreams and then running "diff" on the two outputs.

It would be worth putting in a bug report to XIlinx, but that would most probably need me to be a registered user.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived