3 Papilio Overshield Prototype boards built.

Jack Gassett

Finally the last parts I was waiting for to build up a couple Papilio Overshield boards has arrived.

I have three Papilio Overshield (previously Papilio Uno) prototype boards built. I will finish basic verification and get the boards available in the prototype section of the online store in the next couple days.

The downside of this first prototype is that the reset button has to be held down while the SPI flash is programmed. It is a hassle and the next revision is going to replace the reset button with a Program/Run switch. Even with the hassle though it is a pretty interesting design that has 5V tolerance, accepts Arduino Shields, can act as an FPGA Arduino Shield, and uses the Arduino for programming.

Jack.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, but what's the purpose of the 'Overshield' project again ?

I'm a complete newbie around here. And I'm trying to get my head around with all of the Papilio/Butterfly/Overshield business.

Regards,

Zinahe A.

Hello,

The Papilio Overshield is what was first called the Butterfly Uno. It is a design that eliminates the expensive FT2232 USB chip and adds bus switches for 5V tolerance and an Arduino footprint. It is meant to be programmed by an Arduino and can be used as an FPGA shield by the Arduino or it can use Arduino shields.

At this point it is not quite ready for prime time. The prototypes I built required that the reset button be held down during the entire programming process which takes 20-50 seconds. I made a new revision that allows reset to be controlled by the Arduino but I have not had any of these new boards manufactured yet. We still intend to bring these boards to market but have decided to not try and rush them. We want to get all of our ducks in a row with the website and Papilio One documentation for now. Once our new manufacturing partnership has some time to solidify we will finish the Papilio Overshield and get manufacturing for them lined up.

Jack.

• 9 months later...
Guest Adell17

[glow=red,2,300]before  you cry foul at the fact that he’s emulating Arduinos on a powerful and  expensive FPGA, there’s nothing stopping you from creating an army of whatever  microcontrollers you happen to prefer instead. I’m guessing that if you can run  four Arduinos on this board at once, a good number of PICs could be emulated  simultaneously alongside whatever other uC you might need in your next robotics  project[/glow] 

Archived