Low res monochrome Hitachi LCD driver - Epson EG2401

cjameshuff
  • I've just done something similar with an old Epson EG2401 display. It doesn't really have enough pixels for Lena, and a single dual-port block RAM suffices as the frame buffer. I made a buffer board to produce 5V logic for the LCD (using 74AHC541s) and used a MAX232 to generate the needed negative voltage.

I've just done something similar with an old Epson EG2401 display. It doesn't really have enough pixels for Lena, and a single dual-port block RAM suffices as the frame buffer. I made a buffer board to produce 5V logic for the LCD (using 74AHC541s) and used a MAX232 to generate the needed negative voltage.

I'd already done this with an AVR, and was able to get reasonably good grayscale by only setting lighter pixels for some fraction of updates. I might try that as my next step here. Avoiding flicker does require "overclocking" the display a good bit past what it was rated for, mine seems very tolerant of such abuse (I only started getting glitches when I gave it a 32 MHz pixel clock with the FPGA controller).

Source code: https://github.com/cjameshuff/vhdlstuff/blob/master/sed11x0_lcd.vhd

p7UVDcc.jpg

• Like 1
  Report Article

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.